Brief History of the Building
The building began as a water-powered mill and mill-house, but was later converted into domestic premises. The mill was first operated on this site in 1180 by Gilbert Poun a Chamberlain of Bishop Piech.
Early in the 19th- century the building was known as Pones Mill. Lichfield had many mills for tanning, flour, corn, linen, woollen, wheat, and silk. Other mills included Stowe Mill, Leomonsley Mill and Pocklington Flour Mill. From at least 1809 until 1817 a woollen manufactory at Pones Mill was operated by Thomas Morgan, the son of a Lichfield bookseller.
By 1827 the mill was owned by two men connected with the hosiery trade in Leicester – Thomas Hitchcock and John Sultzer, who produced carpets and knitting yarns from the premises. From that time until 1841 Hitchcock lived in the mill house and operated the mill, but in 1848 only Sultzer (who was Mayor of Lichfield) was recorded as the owner. In 1850 the mill produced lace, and silk coach trimmings.
In 1889 Arthur Hinckley died while living at the property. In his will he left some valuable artefacts including a full feather quill silver pen given to Dr. Samuel Johnson on completion of the dictionary plus a walking stick and snuff box previously belonging to David Garrick.
The delightful rural scene at Pones Mill turned into a beautiful half-timbered Netherstowe House residence surrounded by old trees, wild flowers and green fields. Two bundles of deeds held by the hotel show that the property changed hands frequently during the 20th century.